Nearly 50 percent of all flash flood fatalities nationwide involve vehicles. Saving your life can be as easy as turning your car around when you see water on the road. Never attempt to drive through flooded roadways.
Ten Texas Flood Factoids
1. Central Texas has been identified as the most flash-flood prone area in the United States by the National Weather Service. 2. Texas holds 6 of 12 world record rainfall rates in 24 hours or less - source United States Geological Survey (USGS).
3. Texas leads the nation in flood-related deaths most every year -- averaging twice the next nearest state: California.
4. Texas leads the nation in flood-related damages most every year - sharing this distinction with Florida and Louisiana.
5. Some 20 million of Texas' 171 million acres are flood-prone - more than in any other state. (Source: 2001 Blue Ribbon Committee Study -- Texas Senate Concurrent Resolution 68)
6. Texas has approximately 8 million structures in floodplains. 3 million of these have no flood insurance. (Source: Blue Ribbon Study)
7. Texas is among the top four states with repeat flood losses to the same properties. (Source: Blue Ribbon Study)
8. From 1986 to 2000, Texas experienced 4,722 flash flood events. (Source: Blue Ribbon Study)
9. Texas has 1.5 full-time employees to administer the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) in 1000 communities (Source: Blue Ribbon Study)
10. "Texas has the fewest numbers of state employees devoted to disaster
preparedness of any of the most populous states," Tom Millwee, past head of Texas Department of Public Safety and Chair of Blue Ribbon Committee