Apply for Permits at the Development Services Department

The Development Services Department of the City of Horseshoe Bay is here to serve you for all of your building construction, inspections, and land development needs. We can help you navigate through the various rules and regulations that are designed to guide our community’s growth and development in an orderly manner, protect the health & safety of our residents, and the character of our City.

Our goal is to help you to help us maintain Horseshoe Bay as a world class resort and retirement community.  Whatever your project needs may be you should use the resources and staff that are available to you in the City’s Development Services Department. Call 830-598-9959 for assistance. 

Submit your Permit Applications with plans to You must submit plans or, for smaller projects, a written scope of work with your permit application.  New Residential Construction applications must include all items from the checklist on the last page of the permit application.

Submit your Inspection Requests prior to 3pm for next business day inspections to  Include the address, inspection type, your name and phone number with your request.

When do I need a permit?

Do I need a permit for that?  When it comes to knowing when you should contact the City to obtain a permit, the basic rules are that if your project will add, alter, repair, remove, modify, or replace electrical, HVAC, plumbing, structural elements, weather barriers (roof, siding, windows), or accessory structures (pool, fence, boat house, etc.) then you must obtain a permit from the Development Services Department.   

If we could educate our residents about one single item, it would be that you should be sure to plan for obtaining your permit with as much effort as you plan, pick colors, materials, and the contractor for your project.  The most common Code Compliance infraction is failure to obtain a permit before beginning a project.  Work started before the permit is obtained could lead to costly Stop Work Orders, fines, and lost time.

Development Services Technicians work with you throughout the permit process to help you understand the reasons that permits are required, and help you file the proper paperwork to obtain your permit.   Our department prides itself in fast, efficient turnaround of permit plan reviews and inspections.  Often times, your contractor can also be contracted to file the permits for you.  For any other questions regarding permit requirements, contact Development Services at 830-598-9959, or email

Does my contractor need to register with the City? 

Yes!  City Council adopted an Ordinance that requires all contractors doing work in the City of Horseshoe Bay to register with the City through the Development Services Department.  This includes general commercial, general residential, home improvement, and manufactured home contractors.  Also, sub-contractors such as mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and irrigation contractors will need to register and show proof of valid State licenses. Contractors can submit a Contractor Registration Application or a Sub-Contractor Registration Application with the application fee to register as a contractor to do business in the City of Horseshoe Bay.